I’m not normally a meringue person but my kids are and they are always trying new cookie recipes on me. This one included. Considering there is chocolate and chocolate chips, it’s kind of hard to say no, right?
Chocolate Chip 'Cloud' Cookies (as adapted from Skinny Taste)
- ½ Cup of egg whites at room temperature
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ Cup refined sugar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Cup Chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 300°F.
- Cover a cookie sheet with silpat or a nonstick silicone pad.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until soft peaks begin to form. Slowly add small amounts of sugar, then vanilla. Be sure to beat mixture well after each addition until stiff peaks appear, the sugar has dissolved and your mixture appears glossy.
- Sift the cocoa powder onto the egg white mixture, and gently fold until all is combined.
- Carefully, fold in chocolate chips. Spoon heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto your cookie sheet. You should get approximately 30 to 32 cookies.
- Bake for approximately 34 to 40 minutes. keeping a close eye until the cookies are just dry. Let cool slightly, then allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Be sure to store the cookies covered, and at room temperature.