Skinny Lasagna Soup
- For the soup:
- cooking spray
- 14 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 Cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 1/2 Cups water
- 2 Cups marinara sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 oz broken lasagna noodles, of your choice
- For topping:
- 6 Tbsp part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 Cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven sprayed with oil, over medium heat and add the sausage. Cook until completely browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon while cooking, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add in chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add parsley, broth, water, marinara sauce, bay leaves and fresh black pepper. Bring all ingredients to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, and 2 Tbsp parsley and mix.
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, spray with oil and add the sausage; cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks with a wooden spoon about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the parsley, broth, water, marinara sauce, bay leaves and fresh black pepper and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, and 2 tbsp parsley and mix.
- Add in the broken pasta and cook uncovered according to package directions. Divide amongst 6 bowls. Top each serving with 2 Tbsp ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella, fresh cracked pepper and fresh basil on top.
- Makes about 8 cups.