Divalicious Chicken Pot Pie
Author: Submitted by Wendy Mallis (adapted from The Kitchen Diva)
- 2 tbsp heart-healthy butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper - cut pepper way too much!!
- 1 tsp coarse - grainy mustard
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups low-fat / low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cups diced - peeled sweet potatoes (add more)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken -- (add more)
- 3 cups cooked fresh vegetables or 2 cups frozen vegetables
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add in olive oil. Mix in the onions, garlic, 1 tbsp of poultry seasoning, ½ tsp of salt and pepper, and the mustard. Cook for 3 minutes until the onions are soft. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the stock, water, and Worcestershire sauce until the mixture is smooth.
- Bring to a boil and add in the sweet potatoes. Cook on low, stirring frequently, until the sweet potatoes are tender (approximately 6 to 10 minutes). Add in the chicken and vegetables, then remove from the pot from the heat.
- Spray an 8 x 11 in (2 qt) baking dish with cooking oil. Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into the pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 ° F. Whisk together baking mix, buttermilk, egg, the remaining 1 tbsp of the poultry seasoning, as well as the remaining ½ tsp of the salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Spoon batter over the chicken and vegetables. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the juices bubble around the edges of the pan.