Salads seem to be a staple for most bbq’s. When Melissa and I (along with our families) get together for our Sunday bbq’s, she always asks if I want her to bring a salad.
There are a few salads during the summer that I love. Strawberry/spinach/goat cheese is one of my favorites. I’ve noticed though, that Melissa seems to be pushing me to try different kinds of salads – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Take her coleslaw for example. I’ve never been fond of the soggy cabbage dish until she kept bringing it, week after week and I finally tried it. There’s nothing special about it – a bag of coleslaw mix and then Renee’s coleslaw dressing (at least, that’s how I make it) but when you combine it with fresh off the grill burgers or sausages…delicious!
On that note…I wonder what salad we’re going to try this year? Maybe this one?
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (approx. 6 oz each)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt, low-fat
- 6 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 pkg (9 oz each) steamed lentils
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 2 med carrots, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Marinade: Season the chicken with ½ tsp of the salt. In a medium sized bowl, whisk the yogurt, 3 tbsp of lemon juice, ginger, garlic, turmeric, paprika, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Transfer all to a glass dish or re-sealable plastic bag. Add the chicken to the marinade, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- When you're ready to eat, heat up the grill to medium-high. Brush the grill grate with oil, so the chicken does not stick. Remove chicken from the marinade, allowing the excess to drip off. Place on the grill for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness, turning once. While the chicken cooks, it's time to make the salad.
- Place steamed lentils in medium-sized bowl. Stir in the tomato, celery, carrots, olive oil, parsley and the remaining 3 Tbsp lemon juice. Season with the remaining ¼ tsp salt and black pepper. Serve with chicken.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Marinate: 8 hrs or overnight
- Grill: 12 mins