Scalloped Potatoes for Easter Dinner
Author: adapted from Food Network's Tyler Florence
- 1½ cups of heavy cream
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, plus more to finish
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ⅛-inch-thick slices
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream with the bay leaves, thyme, garlic, nutmeg and some salt and pepper. As the cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bay leaves and thyme from heated cream mixture.
- Pour the heated cream mixture into a large bowl with the sliced potatoes. Mix gently to coat the potatoes completely. Dust Parmesan over the potatoes. Season the entire mixture with a little salt and pepper. Mix gently to incorporate.
- Pour a little bit of the cream into the bottom of the buttered casserole dish. Spoon the potatoes in gently. Make sure the potatoes are level/even for uniform cooking time. Pour remaining cream over the top. Top with more Parmesan and fresh thyme leaves. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil. BE SURE tot pull back one corner for the steam to escape. Bake for 40 minutes.