Thank you to Tina Myers for submitting this fall-inspired Stuffed Pepper Soup. We can’t wait to try it out!
Reader Recipe - Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1lb LEAN ground beef
- 1 lg onion, diced
- 1cup uncooked, 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can Hunts flavored diced tomatoes (Red pepper and fennel, roasted garlic, sweet onion etc) (14.5oz can)
- 1 can tomato sauce (14.5oz can)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 box chicken stock (32oz)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp powdered beef stock
- 3 bell peppers (I use 1 big green pepper then 4-5 red and 4-5 yellow BABY bell peppers)
- Cheese for topping (optional)
- Fresh cracked black pepper for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot coated with cooking spray, over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the onions and rice. I know that sounds odd, but browning the rice gives it a nice nutty flavor – do not allow it to burn!!
- Meanwhile dice your peppers into small ½" pieces, set side
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, chicken stock, water, and powdered beef stock, then allow it to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and allow it to cook 20 minutes then add the peppers and allow it to cook another 20-30 minutes (some types of rice may need longer cooking times)
- Serve with cheese on top (optional)