One of my favorite desserts to make is cheesecake. Once upon a time I thought I hated all things cheesecake – can you imagine? It’s now one of my favorite sweet treats.
I remember the first time I ate a piece of baked cheesecake and realized what I’d been missing…we were at a dinner party in Sudbury, Ontario and the hostess brought out this beautiful cheesecake drizzled in chocolate and topped with berries and whipped cream. My husband kicked my leg under the table – his subtle reminder not to be rude and refuse dessert (can you image I’d ever pass up dessert?). That first bite hooked me. I’m pretty sure we ended up bringing home not only pieces of this cheesecake but also the recipe!
So tell me…
do you love cheesecake? What’s your favorite kind and do you have a tip to making the best cheesecake you’ve ever tasted? Once a month I’d love to share a reader recipe…could it be yours?
- For the Crust:
- 16 graham cracker squares
- ¼ cup of butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- Mix together and press in the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan (or follow the recipe given on a box of graham cracker crumbs).
- For the Cheesecake:
- 3 lbs (6 – 8 oz pkgs) cream cheese at room temp.
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup flour + 2 T
- 6 eggs
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix all together until very smooth. Then add : 1 ½ cup of light cream. Keep mixing.
- Bake in pre heated oven at 325 for 1 hour and 10 to 30 minutes.
- Test – it usually needs more baking than 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Otherwise it is soft in the middle.
- When delicately brown and firm, turn off heat and open the oven door 5” for ½ hour. Then open door and leave in oven for another ½ hour. Cool at room temperature. Refrigerate.
- This cake should be made a day before you plan on eating it. The longer it is refrigerated the better it is.