Honey Pecan Pie
Author: adapted from Canadian Living
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup liquid honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender (or 2 knives), cut in the butter until it looks like coarse crumbs with a few large pieces.
- Sprinkle the mixture with ¼ cup cold water, tossing with fork until rough dough forms. You can add up to 1 tsp more water if required.
- Shape the pastry into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, approximately 1 hour. (Want to make it ahead of time? You can refrigerate the dough for up to 3 days OR freeze it in an airtight container for up to 1 month.) Allow the pastry to stand at room temperature for approximately 5 minutes to soften.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 12-inch circle. Fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim edges to allow a 1-inch overhang; fold the edges under and then flute edge. Poke the bottom of the pastry all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the brown sugar until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Incorporate the honey, vinegar, vanilla and salt. Whisk in the eggs.
- Arrange the pecans in pie shell as desired. Now pour the filling over top. Bake pie on a baking sheet on bottom rack of 350ºF oven until the filling is set (approximately 50 to 60 minutes). Allow the pie to cool completely on rack.