Since coming home from my three week long book trip, my oldest daughter has been baking a lot of treats. As with baking, some things gets tossed in the trash (like burnt caramel popcorn) and some things are devoured before I remember to take a photo and tease everyone with the mouth-watering sweets I’ve been eating.
One thing I love about my daughter’s baking…she doesn’t always use recipes. She sees something online or has an idea in her head and the next thing I know, my kitchen is in disarray, my sink full of dirty pots and pans and laid out for me to taste-test are irresistible treats that you know I can’t pass up.
A few days ago on Facebook I shared a photo of caramel pretzels she’d made and since so many people asked for the recipe, I thought I’d share it with you all.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) pretzels (minus a handful)
- To Make Homemade Caramel:
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter.
- Bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Continue boiling, without stirring, at a moderate-steady rate for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Return to the heat.
- Reduce to medium-low; cook and stir firm. Keep warm.
- Now the Good Part...
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Place pretzels and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Poor caramel mixture over the pretzels.
- Take the handful of pretzels you'd set apart and cross them.
- Sprinkle these over the caramel covered pretzels.
- Place in oven until the caramel is bubbling (10 min or less).
- Take them out, let cool.
- Break into bits and enjoy!
Word of warning…these are delicious. If you love sweet and salty snacks, this is gonna satisfy all those cravings in one. I do have one suggestion for the next time she makes these…drizzle chocolate on them, or dunk them in that melted cocoa goodness…(like seriously, she should know this by now, you’d think, right!)
If you end up making these…let me know how you enjoyed them…and especially let me know if you drizzled chocolate all over them…hmmm…I may need to get her to make me more now.