Slow Simmered Beef Bourguignon
- 3 pounds stewing beef
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional beef broth, divided
- 3/4 pound med fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 thick-sliced bacon strip, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Italian tomato paste
- Cooked egg noodles (optional)
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. In a large non-stick skillet, coated with cooking spray, brown the beef in small batches. Remove meat with a slotted spoon to a 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. Add flour, and toss to coat. Add the broth and 1 cup of wine.
- In the same skillet, add in the mushrooms, onion, carrots and bacon. Cook and stir over medium heat until the carrots are tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add in remaining wine. Stir to loosen browned bits from pan. While stirring, add in tomato paste. Transfer all to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the beef is tender. Serve with noodles, or side of your choice.
- Yield: 6 servings.